Last Friday night I pulled up to a temporary evening job I’m doing.

 Last Friday night I pulled up to a temporary evening job I’m doing.

In front of my car I see a dog sitting in the bushes. I can see that he’s homeless and afraid.




I approached him real gingerly, lowering myself so as not to appear intimidating and stuck my hand out from a distance, keeping it low.

Within a few seconds he showed himself to be friendly, non aggressive, and lonely.

I took a picture of him, (that exact picture above), went inside the building, and started asking around about the dog. Several people recognized him and said they had seen him in parts of the city with a high homeless population.

I scoured up some pizza and brought it out to him so he could get some calories back.

The employees at the building were concerned about him and tried to elect someone amongst themselves to “adopt” the dog. We came REAL close with one guy whose dog had recently died, but he called his parents and they would not allow him.

I knew in the back of my mind that if no one agreed to adopt him, then I would have to. I just couldn’t bear the thought of that sweet boy further roaming the streets, suffering malnutrition, cold weather, and possible abuse.

At the end of my shift I loaded him up in my car and a new life began. Uggh. The last thing I wanted or needed was a new dog to take care of, but I figured at the very least, maybe he’d only be with me a day or two before I could get someone online to give him a new home.


He was dirty and smelly, so first stop: the bath.

He had NO idea what that was, and HATED it!

Since it was late at night, it was already bed time and I couldn’t leave him to roam the house or he might chew stuff up or worse. So up in the bed he went, where I could keep my eye on him!

Of course, he scratched and scratched for hours, but FINALLY went to sleep.

Turns out he likes to sleep like a human: with his head up at the pillows and arms outstretched. He took to being a member of the family quite readily.


Long story short: we’re not giving him away now, and Oliver has made himself a place in our family unit, much to the chagrin of our current West Highland Terrier, who is not at all happy about it!



He is definitely an “on the furniture” type of dog. If you try to take a nap on the couch, he’ll insist on squeezing himself into (or onto) any space available. And our Westie (Finnegan O’Brien) seems to be tolerating him better now. He’s no longer keeping a sourpuss look on his face 24/7. We are working hard towards harmony in the house!


Also, we took him to the vet and he ended up having a microchip. The vet’s office called the “owner” who informed them that he did NOT want the dog back. We also found out his birthday is March 6, 2018.


His other pastime, which everyone hates, is “leg wrestling”. If you're sitting down, he comes up to you and grabs one of your legs with both of his. He'll either pull on it, or now he's learned to YANK it! The other day he made me fall right out of my chair! He's hilarious. But nobody can stand his leg wrestling. Except, of course, his proud papa!